What used to be done with a gauge is now done by industrial image processing: measuring distances, thicknesses, areas or widths – in 2D as well as in 3D. The results are more detailed, precise and accurate than could ever be achieved manually.
Machine vision systems are called on here in a number of areas:
- Measure dimensions like length, width, or distances as well as angles or radii of manufactured parts with high accuracy
- Perform 3D measurements to also acquire information about a good’s height or volume
Very specific application examples are:
- Checking the dimensional accuracy of milled components in the metal industry
- Measuring the radii of ball bearings
- Measuring a plant’s attributes like height, leaf area and stem diameter
- Checking the dimensions of a smartphone’s charging port
- Measuring the size of solder joints on PCBs
- Verifying the height difference between a laptop’s trackpad and case
Read more about the technologies, you will find in your software products to help you with your measuring applications:
Read more about how machine vision could be helpful in your industry or take a look at our customers success stories to find specific examples of the applications.