Release Notes for Deep Learning Tool
Here you can read the release notes for MVTec Deep Learning Tool 0.4.2 "Early Adopter" (EA), as released in August 2020.
The license of version 0.4.2 EA is valid until June 30, 2021.
Version 0.4.2 Early Adopter
- Deep Learning Tools now offers the possibility to train models for classification projects.
This includes creating and deleting trainings, and configuring the trainings and the models by setting different parameters. Further, you can start, pause, and stop training runs as well as export the generated models.
Trainings can be performed on the CPU or, if supported, on the GPU.
The progress of a training is shown on the Results tab. While the loss and the top-1 error are displayed as plots, further values are shown as numbers.
- The image dataset can now be split into subsets for training, validation, and testing. For this, the ratio of these subsets can be defined, e.g., 70 % training images, 15 % validation images, and 15 % test images. The split dataset can be used for training a model.
The split is part of the export of a dataset. Furthermore, the Image and Gallery pages gained the functionality to display the split type to which an image belongs. It is also possible to filter by the split type.
- Class IDs in imported HALCON dictionaries now are preserved for the export. The class IDs for classes created in Deep Learning Tool are numbered consecutively.
Resolved Issues and Improvements
- The import of a HALCON dataset dictionary file could fail. This problem has been fixed.
- It is now possible to import HALCON dictionaries that do not contain the key 'samples' or that contain an empty 'samples' tuple.
Version 0.4 Early Adopter
- The Deep Learning Tool now offers the option to filter the set of images of a project that is worked on. Filters apply to the Gallery, Image, and Review pages, as well as the HDICT export and the statistics.
- The right navigation panel now also shows a miniature image. A rectangle indicates the current image part that is visible in the main window. Further, the navigation panel offers to adapt the zoom level.
- When reviewing labels in case of the object detection scenario with oriented rectangles, it is now possible to rotate the thumbnail view.
- When reviewing labels in case of the object detection scenario with oriented rectangles, it is now possible to adjust the orientation of the selected labels.
- It is now possible to switch between the main pages by using the keyboard shortcuts Alt+1, Alt+2, etc.
- The tab bar now contains a button to open the statistics window. The statistics window can still be opened by clicking on the progress item as well.
- While previous versions of Deep Learning Tool supported Windows 7 and later, version 0.4 EA supports Windows 10 only. The documentation has been adapted accordingly.
Resolved Issues and Improvements
- When the New Project dialog was opened in the default sized Deep Learning Tool, the dialog was not completely visible such that the Browse button was clipped. This problem has been fixed.
- When importing and exporting object detection datasets, the coordinate system was inconsistent with HALCON (shifted by 0.5 pixel). This has been fixed.
- The opacity of the crosslines for labeling could not be changed using the keyboard. This has been fixed. Furthermore, the minimum opacity has been increased to 15%.
- In big projects with many images, removing a widely used label class could take a very long time and Deep Learning Tool seemed to hang. This problem has been fixed. Further, now a status message and, while deleting, a wait cursor are displayed.
- On the Image page, zooming with a track ball (or any mouse with fine-grained zoom steps) did not work properly. This has been fixed.
- When creating a new oriented rectangle, DLT sometimes showed the class name of other labels. This has been fixed. Now, class names are hidden during creating and editing a label.
- In the "Edit User Preferences" dialog, the name of the "Zoom in when moving mouse wheel up" setting was misleading and has been changed to "Invert mouse scroll direction for zooming". By default, this setting is turned off.
- With the new Review tab, it is now possible to review labeled images and objects. Particularly, the Review tab offers the following functionality:
- It is possible to change the label class of selected labels.
- It is possible to delete selected label regions. In case of classification it is possible to delete images on the Review tab.
- Depending on the selection of items in the gallery view of the Review Tab, the following information is shown in the info panel:
- Name of the image containing the region
- Region size
- Label class
- Name of the image containing the regions (if the image is the same for all selected regions)
- Label class (if the class is the same for all selected regions)
- The documentation now covers the Review tab.
- It is now possible to export labeled images to an HDICT file.
- An existing HDICT file for classification can be imported. Label classes are created if missing, and the labels are imported. If an image is loaded but assigned to another class already, then the following logic is applied:
- If the imported image has a label, it overrules any label loaded already.
- If the imported image has no label, any possibly existing label is kept.
- The documentation now covers the Classification scenario.
reset_preferences: Reset persistent settings to default values.
add_preferences: Start Deep Learning Tool with additional preferences from a file.
load_preferences: Reset all persistent settings and start Deep Learning Tool with the preferences from a file.
use_preferences: Start Deep Learning Tool with the preferences from the file and store all modified preferences in the file.
In addition, the modification time of a project was not correctly updated when its name or description was changed on the project summary panel without explicitly opening the project before. This problem has been fixed.
Resolved Issues and Improvements
- On the Project tab, the summary of projects with many classes had been cropped such that program and file version of the project could not be read. This problem has been fixed.
- When closing and reopening Deep Learning Tool on a screen with high-DPI scaling that was not the primary screen, DLT reopened with half the size. This problem has been fixed.
- On the Gallery tab, there should be a "Browse" button for images that cannot be found in the file system under the given path. Depending on the selected language and the thumbnail size, these buttons could have disappeared. For some languages, the buttons were not visible even with the default thumbnail size. This problem has been fixed.
- If the GUI language was changed, the documentation was still opened in the default (English) language. Now the documentation is opened in the chosen language if it is available.
- Sometimes the label class list could not be scrolled. This issue has been fixed.
- In some dialogs it could have happened that the characters of the text were randomly displaced with a kind of jitter. This problem has been fixed.
- It was not possible to open RGB color images with a width greater than 8192 pixels. This problem has been fixed. Now the maximum image size is 32768 x 32768 pixels.
- On the Image tab, the class name next to labels did not vanish on hover out. This problem has been fixed.
- The deletion of a great number of images from the project took a very long time. This problem has been fixed.
- After deleting images with label regions from the project, old labels of the removed images could re-appear when new images were added to the project. This problem has been fixed.
- The HDict exported by DLT contained arbitrary IDs for label classes. This has been fixed. Now, the IDs of the label classes are enumerated from zero.
- When a corrupted working copy was saved (for example, due to a crash while writing data), DLT has crashed on next startup. This has been fixed. Now, leftovers will be restored in the state before the last action.
- It was not possible to open project files in the Deep Learning Tool if the read-only flag of the file was set or if the user had no write permission to the file. This problem has been fixed. Now it is possible to open projects without write permission as long as the user has read permission. When modifying such projects, they must be saved under a different name.
- If a project contains images that cannot be found in the file system, the user can search for the images and correct their paths. This did not work if the user moved the images to the folders used in the project, that is if the paths should work now without being changed. In this case, an error message was displayed. This problem has been fixed. Now, the images are also reloaded if the paths were not changed.
- When an old project file that was written with a previous version of the Deep Learning Tool was opened, the file version displayed on the Project tab was wrong. This problem has been fixed.
- When importing an image folder, all images in the currently displayed folder were imported instead of the currently selected folder. This has been fixed.
- After opening the Help menu, the shortcut F1 for displaying the help page in the browser worked only every second time. The same problem occurred with the shortcut F11 for switching into the full screen mode after the menu was opened. These problems have been fixed.
- In very rare cases, Deep Learning Tool crashes during startup. This is probably caused by an incompatible hardware setup. If you encounter such issues, please contact MVTec.
- The Deep Learning Tool now allows to create projects for object detection with arbitrarily oriented rectangles as label regions. After creating such a project it is possible to draw and edit oriented rectangles. Furthermore, it is now possible to import label data from HALCON dictionaries as well as to export the label data into a HALCON dictionary.
- The Deep Learning Tool is now able to retrieve an RSS news feed published by MVTec. The latest news will be displayed automatically at the startup of the application. To request the news manually, click "News" in the help menu.
- The Deep Learning Tool now supports multiple languages (depending on what is installed in a certain program folder). The language can be configured via user preferences. Currently, the Deep Learning Tool supports English, German, simplified Chinese and Japanese. It is possible to use a customized translation.
- The Gallery tab has been extended by a multi selection functionality. Now, it is possible to select multiple images and delete them in one step.
- The Deep Learning Tool now supports the loading of images in more file formats and pixel types. This includes mainly the image file formats TIFF, JPEG-2000, JPEG-XR, and HOBJ. The pixel type of the loaded images is no longer restricted to byte images.
- The Deep Learning Tool has been extended with a feedback functionality. To send feedback to MVTec via email, open the help menu and choose "Feedback".
- Deleting a label class may destroy a lot of work. Therefore, the user has to confirm this action now via a warning dialog. In addition, by deleting a label class all labels of that class are also deleted.
- The application now has an entry "MVTec Deep Learning Tool" in the Windows Start Menu.
Resolved Issues and Improvements
- When creating a new project, it is possible to enter the path to the project file. When instead of the project file an exiting folder was entered, a message box asked the user if the file should be replaced, which is unexpectedly. Further, when trying to save the project an error message was printed that the file could not be saved. This problem has been fixed. Now, when an existing folder is entered as project path, the project's name is used as file name, which is created in the given folder. In addition, the extension .dltp is automatically added, if it was not entered in the path.
- On the Label tab selecting all labels at once with the shortcut Ctrl+A did not work when the image had the keyboard focus. It worked only when the table "Labels" had the keyboard focus. This problem has been fixed. Now, on the whole Label tab Ctrl+A can be used for selecting all labels.
- The shortcut Ctrl+W did not work for closing the current project. This problem has been fixed.
- When several HALCON dictionaries with different labels for the same images were imported one after the other, only the labels of the last imported dictionary were displayed, all other labels seemed to be lost. This problem has been fixed. Now, all imported labels are kept in the project and are displayed correctly.
- The "Save Project" dialog appeared on loading projects that have already been opened. Now, the view is switched to the Gallery tab instead.
- The dialog for adding/editing label classes did not contain any error indication. This problem has been fixed.
- Zooming the thumbnails in the Gallery tab using Ctrl+mouse wheel did not work if the mouse cursor was positioned over a quick info (file path).
- When creating a new class, the class was not selected. Now, the focus is on the newly created class.
- The scrolling speed of the image list in the Gallery tab has been improved.
- For creating a new label class the text field was replaced by a simple + button. Clicking this button opens a popup dialog that allows to enter the label class name and to select a color for the class.
- After clicking "Save Project As..." the current UI state was lost. Now, the application stays in the same state (on the same image in Label tab / on the same tab) as before.